Monday, August 15, 2005

Start-up book recommendation

My work for consumer businesses recently has outpaced my B2B work. This is a bit of a surprise, given that the vast majority of my experience has been in the B2B world.

One client has been working in the bicycle industry for over 20 years, and has now decided to try his hand at running his own shop. He is incorporating the business (something I would recommend any retail business do in the US) and has made me one of the board members. He is still doing all the prep work (arranging financing, finding a location, signing on bicycle manufacturer's products to carry, etc.), and will hopefully open up in the next few weeks.

When he and I first talked about him starting a bike shop, one the first things I did was send him my copy of a book called The Small Business Start Up Kit, by Peri Pakroo. Actually, I sent him the California specific version which they also have. These books are published by Nolo, a service that tries to make legal advice and activities doable by normal people.

I used this book when I was starting my first start-up. I had the technology all figured out and such, but I didn't know how to handle the various government requirements (what forms to fill out, whether to incorporate, how to set it up so I could do business under another name - the "DBA", etc.). This book covers all of this, and more, in a way that is easy to understand (which was a bit of a surprise, given the author is a lawyer). Highly recommended for anyone thinking of starting their own business.

Interesting, this book came up again in conversation yesterday. A good friend is thinking about opening a B&B, so I have ordered a copy of the book which I will give to her.

For convenience, I have included links to Amazon.com for both the National version and the California specific version of this book.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger California Kayaker Magazine said...

Two years in, and I am proud to report that my friend's bike shop is doing splendidly. 2007 looks like it was a profitable year (so the strong summer season out pacing the slower winter season, giving a profit for the whole year). And 2008 is looking even better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home